Monday, June 4, 2012

Week 23: Crock-pot Italian Pork Chops

It's starting to become a tradition that I start up the crock-pot each Sunday when I get home from church. Terrific tradition if you ask me. I love not having to worry about dinner :)

The Recipe
4 pork chops
1 small squash, sliced thinly
1 bell pepper, diced
1 onion, chopped
6 tomatoes, diced
12 olives without pits, halved (the original recipe called for just FOUR olives!!! Might as well not bother then!)
1 tsp oregano
1 tbsp wine vinegar
1 cup chicken stock
salt, pepper

Brown the pork chops on a pan if you feel like it... I didn't :)

In a crock-pot, add onion and bell pepper. Put the pork chops on top and sprinkle with oregano and other spices that might catch your fancy (I used a bit of a BBQ mix I had and some curry). Put tomatoes and olives on top and cover with a layer of squash slices. Mix together vinegar and stock and pour over. Add salt and pepper according to taste (it needed more salt than I'd added). Cover and cook on LOW for 5-8 hours.

Serve with pasta or rice.

The Verdict
I cooked mine for just about 7 hours, but don't think that was quite enough, as the pork chops were still quite dry. It tasted okay - the vinegar and olives gave it a nice 'twist' - but I have so many other, better pork chops recipes, so I don't think I'll be making this again.

No comments:

Post a Comment