Thursday, July 26, 2012

Week 30: Sweet Chilli

The Recipe
3 chicken breast halves (at least this is what it was supposed to be... I didn't realize until AFTER I'd gotten it out of the freezer that I'd accidentally gotten pork chops instead... ah well, it still worked)
1 (15 ounce) can beans of your choice, undrained
2 onions, cut into chunks
1 green bell pepper, cut into chunks
1dl tomato paste (I didn't have any, so I used BBQ sauce instead. Yummy!)
2 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp vinegar
1 tbsp teriaki or soy sauce
1/2 tsp salt
tortillas
shredded Cheddar cheese (garnish)

Put the chicken into a slow-cooker and pour the next 8 ingredients (beans through salt) over. Stir to combine. Cook on HIGH for 1 hour, stir again, switch to LOW and cook for another 5-6 hours.

Shred the chicken with two forks, serve with tortillas, shredded cheese and salsa.

The Verdict
I love crock-pot recipes that require no browning before dumping everything into the crock-pot. I also love using the crock-pot on days when temperatures are in the high 20s so I don't have to stand over a hot stove and oven! Those two things along made me inclined to love this recipe. Fortunately it also tasted terrific. I don't think it mattered at all that I accidentally used pork chops instead of chicken breasts, and using BBQ sauce instead of tomato paste was a stroke of brilliance - if I may say so myself ;)

Definitely a keeper!

No comments:

Post a Comment