Friday, September 7, 2012

Week 36: Herbed Chicken

The Recipe
(serves 5)
800g chicken thighs or drumsticks (I'm sure you can use white meat as well, but I prefer dark)
Olive oil
1/3 cup white wine
1 onion -- chopped
1/3 cup chicken broth
1/2 tsp dried Italian seasoning
1 15-oz. can white beans
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp dried tarragon
Salt according to taste
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper
1 14oz. can stewed tomatoes (I used whole cherry tomatoes - yum!)

Coat the crockpot with the olive oil and place the chicken in the bottom. Stir in white wine through crushed red pepper (I didn't have any, so I used paprika instead. Nor did I have any Italian seasoning, so I just used a mix of herbs - rosemary, thyme, basil etc. - instead). Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours. After 6-7 hours take out the chicken, remove skin and bones and return the chicken to the crock pot. Stir in stewed tomatoes and cook on LOW for another hour.

Serve with brown rice.

The Verdict
Ever so slightly bland at first, so I added extra salt, pepper and chili flakes. With that addition I ended up LOVING it! And it tasted just as good as left-overs the following day. It's a bit of a hassle to de-bone the chicken (I burned my fingers a couple of times doing it), but I still think the dark meat tastes so much better than the white that it's worth it.

Absolutely worth a repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment