Thursday, February 28, 2013

Week 9: Sweet and Spicy Grilled Cheese

The Recipe
4 slices bread - the better the quality, the better the dish, but I just used toast bread and it was still fine.
2 slices sharp cheddar
2 slices spicy cheese
1 small onion, thinly sliced
1.5 tbsp butter
2 tbsp BBQ sauce

Melt 1/2 tbsp of butter in a skillet. Add the sliced onion and stir occasionally until color changes to slightly brown and taste is sweet, about 10 minutes. Remove onions from skillet and set aside.

Spread 1 tbsp of the remaining butter onto one side of each slice of bread. Divide BBQ sauce evenly among 2 of the slices, and spread evenly opposite the butter side. Lay cheddar cheese on top of sauce. Divide caramelized onion among the sandwiches, then top with pepper jack. Finish assembly by placing remaining bread slices on top. The butter sides of the bread should both be on the outside of the sandwiches.

Melt the remaining butter in the skillet on medium-low. Cook sandwiches two at a time, flipping when bread is golden brown on one side and cheese begins to melt. Serve while hot.

The Verdict
While I've had grilled cheese before, it's always been made in a toaster. This was the first time I tried it on the pan and it is SO much better!!! I tried not to think too much about the amount of butter that went into it though ;)

I couldn't find any spicy cheese nor any cheddar, so I used Havarti and added a bit of chili instead. Not enough though - I couldn't really taste the 'bite'. Also, the cheese really does need to be sharp. This was much too mild to give any proper taste. It was still delicious, but gave me an idea of what it could have been if I had stuck to the 'right' ingredients.

Very yummy and very easy. DEFINITELY something I'll be making again!

1 comment:

  1. pan-cooking is definitely the way to go with grilled cheese! (Whenever The Lovely Wife is down, I make her grilled cheese and tomato soup. Works like a charm.)

    To add to the sharp, you might consider making an inner layer (if that makes sense) of something crumbly, like feta, with a bit of lemon zest, between the Havarti -- personally, I would have gone Gruyere, but there's a lot of room to play around here.

    I *love* the idea of adding chili powder, and we'll definitely be trying that soon. I'm getting the feeling that my shoulders will be sore from carrying groceries tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete