Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Week 23: Chocolate Ice Cream with Nuts

The Recipe
2 egg yolks
~100g sugar (the original recipe called for 140g - I think that would have been too much!)
40g cocoa powder
1 cup milk
1 cup cream
100g assorted nuts (I used almonds, hazelnuts and walnuts)
40g chocolate
2 tsp butter
2 tsp honey

Heat a pan over medium heat and melt the butter and honey. Chop the nuts and roast them for about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and leave to cool. Try to keep them spread out so they don't stick together.
Whisk together eggs, sugar and cocoa. Add the milk a bit at a time.
Whisk the cream until stiff and fold it into the cocoa-mixture. Chop the chocolate and add it as well.

Transfer to ice cream maker and proceed according to instructions, adding the nuts about halfway through. I left mine for 40 minutes total. Transfer to freezer tubs and freeze for another couple of hours.

The Verdict
One of the best ice creams I've made! SO rich and lovely! It has a LOT of nuts, but I like it that way :) If you're not as keen on nuts, you might go with just half... or leave it out altogether. But definitely one of my favourites :)

No comments:

Post a Comment