Monday, August 3, 2015

Week 31: Eggs 'n' Bacon Ramen Noodle Soup

The Recipe
(2 bowls - serves 1)
~75g bacon, chopped
A dash of ginger
2-3 garlic cloves, sliced
Red pepper flakes (I didn't have any, so I used chili flakes instead)
1 liter chicken broth
3 tbsp soy sauce - divided (or to taste)
1/2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tbsp white wine vinegar
sesame seeds
~125g dried ramen noodles
2 soft-boiled eggs
2 spring onions, sliced and divided into the white and the green part.

In a pot, cook the bacon until crisp. Remove little over half of the bacon and put aside.

Lower heat to medium and add garlic, the white part of the spring onions, ginger and the red pepper flakes. Stir for a couple of minutes, until the garlic is translucent.

Add a bit of the chicken broth and scrape the bottom to get all the goodness loosened :) Add the rest of the broth and half of the soy sauce. Bring to a simmer, cover and leave for 30 minutes.

(After 20 minutes, you'll want to get the eggs started. I usually cook my soft-boiled eggs for 5 minutes. If you like the yolkes more or less runny, adjust the cooking time accordingly. When done, put the eggs under cold water until they've cooled down, to avoid them cooking further in the shell. Don't discard the water! Use that to cook the ramen noodles for 3-4 minutes.)

Strain the soup and discard the onion, spring onions and left-over bacon. Add the rest of the soy sauce, the two vinegars and the sesame seeds and keep warm until the eggs + noodles are done.

To serve, divide the noodles, bacon and spring onions (the green parts) between two bowls and pour the soup over. Cut the eggs in half and put on top. Serve with extra chili flakes if desired.

The Verdict
For some reason I've had a craving for proper ramen noodles lately, and fortunately this fit the bill perfectly :) Easy to make, and really yummy! The original recipe used miso paste as well, but I couldn't find any, so I upped the amount of soy sauce used instead. Since I don't know how miso paste tastes, I don't know that it made any major difference ;)

There was FAR too much soup - I think I had almost an entire bowl left over - but otherwise this serving was perfect as a main dish for 1 person. Awesome comfort food - definitely something I'll make again!



No comments:

Post a Comment